With the change of seasons, we may notice our skin getting dry and flaky, and in some cases red, as the skin is stripped of its’ natural hydration. The following are 5 tips to help keep your skin healthy during the winter months.
1. Stop using cleansers that strip the skin of its natural hydration. Using cleansers with salicylic acid are great during the summer months but may be too drying during the winter. Instead, choose one that cleans the skin while leaving it refreshed and hydrated. If you are experiencing dry, sensitive skin, try ZO’s Hydrating Cleanser.
2. Don’t stop using exfoliators. Exfoliation is key to beautiful skin. Dead skin cells build up during winter months. Choose a gentle exfoliator such as ZO’s Exfoliating Polish to gently remove dead skin cells 1 to 3x’s per week. This polish contains ultra-fine crystals which leave the skin glowing with a refined texture.
3. Protect your skin with antioxidants. A healthy skin barrier is essential to the skin’s ability to lock in moisture and protect it from environmental factors such as free radicals. You can get your antioxidants from fruits and vegetables such as broccoli, blueberries, spinach, and nuts. Additionally, add a topical antioxidant to your daily skin care routine. For example, ZO’s Daily Power Defense has enzymatic as well as antioxidant properties designed to fight free radicals and improve the skin’s natural repair process.
4. Plump and soothe your skin with nighttime hydration. Indoor heating, excess use of hot water, as well as winter winds can really dry out your skin. If you are experiencing an increase in dryness, think about adding a hydrator to your nighttime regimen. ZO’s Hydrating Crème is an excellent lightweight, non-retinol hydrator that can be used as needed.
5. Don’t forget Sunscreen! Although UVB rays are less prominent during the winter, UVA rays are still high. If you are taking advantage of the Peel Season, or doing other ablative procedures, your skin may be vulnerable. Please apply sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher, daily, to maintain optimal skin health year-round.
We would love to work with you to create a personalized skin care program and/or to discuss your aesthetic goals or concerns. Give us a call for a complementary consultation today!